Saturday, April 21, 2012

Say Their Names



This I believe: fallen soldiers’ names should be spoken out loud in public as a measure of honoring their sacrifice.
 For many months, about twice a week, sometimes more often, the American flags on public buildings fly at half-staff to honor New York State’s fallen soldiers. Each time I see the Flag bow to a soldier, my heart aches. I know that a brave young person has sacrificed their life carrying out a mission. I know there is a mother whose heart is broken. I know that there, but for the grace of God, go I.
           I’ve made it my mission to learn the names of each New York soldier that falls. I read their obituary, I pray for them, and I pray for those they leave behind – family, friends and fellow soldiers. Often, I buy a card and send their family my condolences. It isn’t much, but it’s what I can do. I can send them my words. I can send up a prayer. I can say that soldier’s name to honor their service and sacrifice and remember them in my heart. With every prayer and every card, I write the name of that mother’s son on my heart forever.
            This I believe: When a soldier falls in service to our country, the United States President – the soldier’s commander-in-chief – should take pause, reflect and honor that soldier publicly. The President should take time away from the duties of the office and speak that soldier’s name on behalf of a grateful nation, to write that soldier’s name on his heart. It is not too much to ask or expect of the one who sent that young person into battle.
            A soldier would never ask it nor expect it. They are bound by the heart of a patriot to serve, expecting nothing in return. They are bound by a warrior’s honor to think not of themselves, but of their fellow soldiers and their mission first. Even so, when a soldier makes the ultimate sacrifice, laying their life down, is it too much to spend mere seconds honoring them? I don’t believe that it is.
            When a person enlists, they become nameless and faceless in their mission. They look alike, they walk with one accord. They live and breathe to keep us safe. When they fall, their families and friends bury them, honoring their memory with rites reserved for heroes. They would expect nothing more.
For them, I expect more. I expect that we would honor them, think of them and appreciate them.
Health care reform, illegal immigration and the economy take so much of our time and energy. News reports fly fast and furious on every minute detail of these issues. The passing of a Hollywood “legend” will flood the airwaves for days on end. The death of a soldier barely gets a mention. Occasionally, a photo of a flag-draped coffin makes it’s way to the Internet. We are momentarily sad, but then we move on.
America’s bravest deserve better. The President should speak the name of each and every soldier that falls under his watch, now and in the future. It is the very least – the very least -- he can do for the soldier who followed his command without question. If that small act of respect cuts into the time spent campaigning and strategizing the next political fight, so be it. It would be a small sacrifice to make room to recognize a much bigger sacrifice.

2 comments:

  1. I have always been amazed that we make the Commander in Chief someone who has never served in the military!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell your boys thank you for their service.

    ReplyDelete