Thursday, April 19, 2012

April, Month of the Military Child


A glance at the calendar the other day revealed that April is set aside as the Month of the Military Child. This month was set aside to honor the youngest patriots among us. These tiny heroes get less recognition, and their sacrifice is tremendous and life altering. In 1986 Defense Secretary Casper Weinberger set April aside as a month to recognize children of military parents.

My father served in the Air Force long before I was born, as my husband served before our children were born. I grew up in a family where my mother was a full time homemaker and my father worked a regular 8-hour day in the local steel plant. Our life was blessedly ordinary, as was the childhood of my own children. 

There is no greater sacrifice to the nation than military service. When that sacrifice is borne by an adult, it’s daunting.  As a mom to a soldier, these past few years have been tumultuous. The uncertainty, the wondering, the fear of the unknown – all are excruciating for a parent. It has seemed like a very long haul since my son enlisted. As the months of his service wind down, I am eager for his time to end and have him return home. I’m a grown up. I’m able to understand the concepts of time and waiting. I truly cannot imagine how difficult it must be for a child to watch a soldier parent deploy.

The challenges faced by children of service men and women are many: transient life moving from base to base, even country to country. Consider the irregularity of schedules and the not knowing when or if their parent will be taken away for months, years, or possibly forever. That would be a heavy load for a grownup, but for a child, an unbelievable burden to bear.

If you are interested in learning more about the Month of the Military Child, a few links follow:




Not to be forgotten are the non military spouse. It is a heavy burden for the spouse of the soldier who must remain and care for the family, keeping life intact, making it seem ordinary. It seems a daunting challenge to me, and few can probably fathom the struggles and the hardships faced by military families.

If you have the opportunity to do something kind for a military child, please take that opportunity. While they have not pledged their service to the country, their sacrifice is huge and not to be dismissed. Perhaps it is the military child who gives more than any of us.

1 comment: