Sunday, April 22, 2012

It is the Soldier

     I opened my Bible this morning before church. I keep a few things in there, but I was looking for a poem. I suddenly had an odd feeling that it might have been lost. I couldn't quite recall seeing it the last time I opened my Bible. 

     Sure enough, the paper I was looking for wasn't there. I flipped through twice. Hmmm. I really liked that poem, and I keep it there 1) because it was written by a priest; 2) God forbid... it's there in case I should need it for a funeral (I also keep a list of favorite hymns in there too); and 3) If I plan for the worst, it never happens.

     So this has become my thought process ever since I became the mom of a soldier and an airman. I wait. I worry. I pray for the best, in spite of being prepared for the worst. 

     I did a quick look up online and again found the poem. It will go back into my Bible, just in case. I share it with you today to emphasize the importance of what our soldiers, airmen, marines, sailors, guard members do. It's a good reminder for me whenever I need it. 


"It is the Soldier"
by Father Denis Edward O'Brien, M.M., USMC

It is the soldier, not the reporter
        Who has given us Freedom of the Press.

It is the soldier, not the poet
       Who has given us Freedom of Speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer
       Who has given us Freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier, not the lawyer
       Who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is the soldier, not the Congress
       Who has given us the right to vote. 

It is the soldier who salutes the flag,
       Who serves beneath the flag and
       Whose coffin is draped by the flag
       Who allows the protester to burn the flag.
 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment