Monday, April 23, 2012

Hamburg's Heroes

I took the opportunity to take a walk down the street in my town and photograph the hero banners recently installed on light poles along the main drag leading from the town into the village. If you missed the earlier posts, military mom Sue Jantzi made it her personal mission to honor our town's service members by having local business sponsor the Hometown Hero banner project.

Currently, 31 banners are on display. If you are from Hamburg or ever go into Hamburg, the banners line the stretch beginning at  the circle where South Park (it becomes Buffalo Street), Legion Drive & Clark Street meet, going into the Village, ending at Union Street. 

Walking the length of the street and stopping at each banner not only gives you a different view/perspective of the banners, but it's not as easy as breezing past in your car. Naturally I picked the one freezing cold day we have had in April, then it got windy and drizzly, and finally a little rock got in my shoe and really irritated me. I kept thinking, as uncomfortable as I am right this minute, I'll bet every one of these soldiers has been exposed to conditions 10,000 times worse.

My sincere hope is that other communities will find similar ways to honor their patriots. Sue Jantzi stepped up and took the matter in hand. Thank you, Sue! The photos of the banners will appear on a separate page of Patriot Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment