Sunday, May 6, 2012

Military Spouse Appreciation Day - May 6

Change of plans for today... I was going to write more about letters and share some that passed between my grandmother and my father. I'll put that on hold for now. Today is a day that I can't let pass by - Military Spouse Appreciation Day!

May 6 is set aside each year to recognize the unsung heroes that love and support our military personnel. Military spouses may not wear a uniform, and they may see the front line, but their duty is tough. They wait. They wait for their soldier, and they keep the homes fires burning. Military spouses stand behind their warrior, giving them the strength to carry on. Its knowing they have the love of a good woman or man waiting for them at home that makes active duty easier. 

I'm not a military spouse, nor have I ever been one. I can't imagine what it's like to wait and to wonder if your spouse will come home whole or if they will come home at all. It's a tremendous load and an uncertain one. Military spouses have a special place in Heaven reserved for them if you ask me.

Today, I send my love, my thanks, and my appreciation to the military spouse who waits for my son. My daughter-in-law, Dominique, is a young, beautiful college student. She and my Tyler have been married just over a year. She's amazing. 

Tyler and Dominique have had a unique experience, as their dating life began just shortly before he enlisted. They have endured much separation due to college for her and military service for him. Dominique stood behind Tyler during his deployment to Haiti and Iraq. It's not easy, I'm certain, for a young lady to deal with all the ups and downs that come with military life. As his wife, she supports him in a completely different way that a parent just can't. I love her for everything she brings to my son's life.

Thank you, Dominique, for your enduring love for my son. You are my hero.

Dominique and Tyler
If you know a military spouse, take a moment to thank them; acknowledge THEIR service.

No comments:

Post a Comment